Sunday, August 14, 2011

Peach Upside Down Cake


[1963]



Peach Upside Down Cake

Company coming? Upside down cakes are always popular--and this one's so pretty, too.

1 package (12 ounces) Birds Eye Sliced Peaches, thawed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup butter
1/2 to 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar [1/2 cup is plenty.]
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
1/4 cup maraschino cherries, halved
1 1/2 cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
2 teaspoons Calumet Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, unbeaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

Drain peaches, measuring 1/2 cup juice. Combine peaches and lemon juice and set aside. Place 1/4 cup butter in 9-inch round cake pan. Heat in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) until butter is melted. Combine brown sugar, flour, and 1/2 cup peach juice. Stir into the melted butter. Arrange peach slices, slivered almonds, and cherries in butter mixture.

Measure sifted flour, add baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar, and sift together. Cream remaining 1/4 cup butter until softened. Add dry ingredients, milk, egg, and vanilla. Stir to moisten all the flour; then beat vigorously 1 minute. Pour over fruit mixture in pan. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) about 45 minutes, or until cake springs back when pressed lightly. Cool about 5 minutes. Invert onto serving plate and let stand 1 minute before removing pan. Serve warm or cold. Top each serving with whipped cream or prepared Dream Whip Dessert Topping or ice cream, if desired. Makes about 8 servings.
Prepare-Ahead Hint. Make ahead and serve cold or reheat in slow oven just until slightly warm.


Verdict: This is what angels eat in heaven for breakfast. So good. So, so good. For those who say, "It has a whole stick of butter! Of course it is delicious!", I invite you to browse the archives of this site. While eating this cake. It's... it's just so delicious. Frozen Foods Cookbook, I don't care what other things you may do to me in the future. This recipe alone atones for any culinary crimes you may commit.

I used my own frozen peaches, so they are not as attractive as they could be. But I am okay with that. I also had to bake it 20 minutes longer, and had some trouble smooshing the cake batter over the top. It works best to put dollops over the top and them sort of smooth them together.

Seriously, guys. It's fantastic.

12 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

LOVE that book and LOVE that recipe!!! Perfect for National Peach Month!!! (which happens to be in August)

If I had only remembered to drag that book out last nigh. I would have made Peach Upside Down Cake rather than peach crumble pie, which by the way, I was not happy with. (dry oh so dry:)

Thanks for sharing, Jana...

Hope all is well with you and yours:)

Jana said...

Convenient! And pie should never be dry. That is terrible.

J.W. said...

I love upside down cake so much...the canned pineapple and maraschino kind in particular. This is one I'll have to try.

Nonna said...

My mouth is watering just looking at the photo !

those fresh, beautiful Georgia peaches are calling me and are so delicious right now. I prefer peaches to pineapples any day...next time I need something easy and scrumptious, I'm making this...thank you !

Jana said...

Please do try, both of you. Cakes with goo or sauce are superior to sugary blah frosting any day! And with peaches, how CAN you go wrong?

My Mom's Recipe Box said...

Funny story, your book, is one I received as a 2 book set for a wedding present back in 1969! Don't have it now, another book on where is it now???? Your cake looks delicious! Home-made is always better!

Jana said...

Thanks! That's 'cause it's your book. I took it in 1973. ;)

Nonna said...

"Frozen Foods Cookbook, I don't care what other things you may do to me in the future. This recipe alone atones for any culinary crimes you may commit."

Best lines ever in a verdict Jana !

BTW, thinking about you and the little one and hoping you all are doing o.k.

Jana said...

Aw, thanks! We're both doing well, and I am getting awfully anxious to meet her.

Shay said...

Oh, my this looks good!

GStaples said...

Oh Jana, you're so cute! Thanks.

Alison said...

Drooooool! Must have!